Monday, January 18, 2010

Due in Pap 14:30 local (that is 1:30 PM Eastern)

I arrived very early this morning in Santo Domingo. Next challenge is to arrange transport to Port-au-Prince as my aid organization told me to 'make my own way' north.

The folks here who run the airport have just today set up a United Nations receiving center. My complements and gratitude to the folks of Republica Domincana for hosting this group and providing support services they are doing a great job.

I checked in and got credentialed. There are about 80 or 100 people here from at least 10 nations. Primarily SAR crews.

I will be getting on a chartered 737 in a bit and will fly into PaP. From there I can make it to my base with little trouble I imagine.

This backpack is getting pretty heavy with the equipment and five days of food in it. I look forward to getting settled.

I do not know what the media is reporting but I can report that this is an international effort. I have spoken with folks from:

United Kingdon (three crews)
New Zealand
Croatia
Finnland
Slovakia
Denmark
Norway

Everyone is carrying self-sustaining supplies for a week so lots of duffel bags, backpacks and equipment canisters. Languages are a polyglot.

I had an interesting discussion with a Danish group who are setting up the United Nation's IT infrastructure starting today. I may go ahead and get with them after I do my task with the aid group that invited me. There will be no shortage of work.

The last few hours have confirmed that my decision to come here was the proper decision. Everyone is talking about communications being the greatest hurdle right now to delivering aid to the survivors of 12 January.

In terms of security I am much safer traveling with the UN rather than being a singleton using available/public transportation.

I will update the blog when I get a chance.

1 comment:

  1. good to know you are almost there, Rick. we are thinking of you. Be safe and thank you for doing this important work!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, questions or anything anyone wishes to post on the situation in Haiti.